Understanding How Poverty and Trauma Affect Kindergarten Readiness
PsyCare’s Desiree Farragher, MSW, LISW-S and Lori Kelly, MS, LPCC-S were involved in planning a Kindergarten Summit at the Trumbull County Education Service Center September 29, 2017. As members of the Kindergarten Transition Committee, Desiree and Lori coordinated the event entitled “Understanding How Poverty and Trauma Affect Kindergarten Readiness.”
This Kindergarten Summit served as a continuing education conference for helping professionals, and was sponsored by several community partners.
The event objectives included:
- Understanding the research on poverty and trauma and their impact on young children
- Identifying community partners that can help aid families and children experiencing poverty and trauma
- Planning strategies and resources to help promote Kindergarten readiness and success for families experiencing poverty and trauma
- Earning 5 Ohio Approved Credits for Ohio Department of Education and Early Childhood Mental Health Credential Renewal
150 participants received training in changing the culture of poverty. The audience included:
- Early childhood professionals
- Child care workers
- Preschool teachers
- Elementary school teachers and administration
- Social workers
- Early childhood mental health professionals
Great job Desiree and Lori!